[ofa-general] A question about tx lock in ipoib_flush_paths

Yossi Etigin yosefe at voltaire.com
Fri Jul 3 07:43:25 PDT 2009

In ipoib_flush_paths(), we take the netif_tx_lock to remove a path
My question is - what data does this lock protect?
It isn't path->list and path->rb_node, because priv->lock is enough to protect them.

It might be neigh and neigh->ah, to avoid freeing the neighbour and its address
handle while ipoib_start_xmit() is using it, but this particular part is done *outside*
the tx lock.

Unless I'm missing something - shouldn't the code:

		spin_unlock_irqrestore(&priv->lock, flags);
		netif_tx_unlock_bh(dev);
		wait_for_completion(&path->done);
release >>	path_free(dev, path);
lock >>		netif_tx_lock_bh(dev);
		spin_lock_irqsave(&priv->lock, flags);

Be like this:

		spin_unlock_irqrestore(&priv->lock, flags);
		netif_tx_unlock_bh(dev);
		wait_for_completion(&path->done);
lock >>		netif_tx_lock_bh(dev);
release >>	path_free(dev, path);