Fwd: [ofa-general] Performance evaluation of Opensm

Yevgeny Kliteynik kliteyn at dev.mellanox.co.il
Tue Jul 7 02:29:17 PDT 2009

Hi Davesh,

It's kind of hard to talk about "performance of OpenSM".
Subnet Manager has different phases and modes of operation,
each of them is completely separate issue:

 - Fabric discovery
 - Fabric ports/nodes configuration
 - Unicast routing calculation
 - Unicast routing configuration on fabric switches
 - Multicast routing calculation
 - Multicast routing configuration on fabric switches
 - SA queries processing
 - Memory consumption
 - Different routing algorithms consume different time and memory
 - QoS
 - etc, etc, etc

Most of the above can be measured only on real cluster.
Some (such as routing calculation and memory consumption) can
be measured while OSM is running on top of the simulator.
Some are very affected by the number of CPU cores that you
have on the management node (e.g. SA queries processing),
others mostly affected by the CPU frequency (unicast routing).
Also, various OpenSM options can affect these phases, such as
unicast routing cache may reduce routing calculation time to 0.

Sorry that I'm not really answering your question :(
I just want to point out the fact that there are many aspects
that should be considered when talking about OpenSM performance.

If what you're interested in is just "system-wide" numbers,
then you'll probably want to know how much time it takes for
the OpenSM to bring up cluster from scratch, or how much time
it takes to reconfigure the fabric after some change.
I think that these numbers can come only from the guys that
administer IB clusters, and they would be highly dependent
on the management node CPU.

-- Yevgeny