[ofa-general] upstream stable merge request for OFED 1.4

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Tue Jul 7 05:31:53 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 03, 2009 at 07:34:32PM +0200, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Lars Ellenberg<lars.ellenberg at linbit.com> wrote:
> > maybe I'm doing things wrong.
> > but the last merge with upstream for
> > git://git.openfabrics.org/ofed_1_4/linux-2.6.git
> > appears to have been 2.6.27.
> >
> > there is a reason for the kernel.org stable branches.
> >
> > if you do not plan to upgrade 2.6.28 -> 2.6.31 in the near future,
> > please consider to merge with
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.27.y.git
> >
> > current upstream 2.6.27 stable is v2.6.27.26
> >  958 files changed, 13481 insertions(+), 6784 deletions(-)
>
> Hello Lars,
>
> As you probably know any patch submitted for inclusion in a kernel.org
> stable branch must have been accepted first for inclusion in the
> latest vanilla kernel. So the above question is equivalent to whether
> the development of the OFED kernel components should continue as a
> separate distribution or whether all patches should be submitted for
> inclusion in the latest Linux kernel. This topic has been discussed
> several times on this mailing list. You can find the most recent
> discussion of this topic here:
> http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/general/2009-April/059080.html.

Thanks for that link.

But what I actually was referring to was the tree exposed at
git://git.openfabrics.org/ofed_1_4/linux-2.6.git

and why that one does neither track kernel.org upstream,
nor the 2.6.27.y stable series,
but is stuck on the known buggy 2.6.27.

of course I can easily merge in the stable 2.6.27.26 in my
local checkout of ofed_1_4. I already did. no problem there.

but I was wondering about the status of the
git://git.openfabrics.org/ofed_1_4/linux-2.6.git tree,
whether that is supposed to be the "most uptodate official ofed_1_4"
kernel, and whether or not it is going to be updated to either track
some stable series, or linux-2.6 master.

Thanks for any comments.

--
: Lars Ellenberg