[ofa-general] Re: A question about tx lock in ipoib_flush_paths

Roland Dreier rdreier at cisco.com
Fri Jul 10 13:44:14 PDT 2009

 > If so, it would be addressed by the patch I sent here:
 >
 > http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/general/2009-July/060501.html
 >
 > because the ipoib_neigh structure wouldn't be freed until after
 > ipoib_start_xmit() had done rcu_read_unlock().

Sorry for not replying to this sooner.  I'd prefer not to take that
approach, because all this code is complex enough that it is hard to
maintain already; adding RCU on top of that just seems like it will make
things even harder to fix in the future.

I wish someone would come up with a way to slice through the gordian
knot and simplify the neighbour handling -- maybe the whole strategy of
stashing things in the network stack's neighbour structure is wrong?
Maybe the core network stack could be tweaked to make things easier for
ipoib to deal with?

 - R.