[ofa-general] OFED 1.4.1 breaks SLES10 SP2 NFS server ?

Jon Mason jon at opengridcomputing.com
Mon Jul 13 12:48:11 PDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 10:20:58AM +0000, Ciesielski, Frederic (EMEA HPC&OSLO CC) wrote:
> As far as I could see, x86-64 systems running SLES10 SP2 + OFED 1.4.1 are not valid NFS servers anymore, even without trying to activate NFS-RDMA, even without using IB at all for the export.
>
> NFS clients see too frequently 'Stale NFS file handle' error messages for them to properly read or write anything.
>
> This happens using ethernet and IPoIB... and works fine without OFED, or when OFED 1.4 is installed instead (which is not what I want).
>
> Did anybody test that ?
> Any idea about how to get rid of this major side effect ?

The problem is specific to non-ext filesystems (specifically reiserfs in this case).  There is a bug in the NFS backports for SLES10 and RHEL5, which should be fixed in OFED 1.4.2 and OFED 1.5.  This issue was not detected due to testing only on ext3 on SLES10sp2.

If you use ext3 and OFED 1.4.1, you should not see the issue.

Thanks,
Jon