[ofa-general] Some problem about the LID selection.

Todd Rimmer todd.rimmer at qlogic.com
Tue Jul 14 05:19:38 PDT 2009

The intent of the specification was for the SM to provide such suggestions, hence fabric policies and config could be easily controlled and path selection can be coordinated with routing and topology knowledge (which the SM has).

Generally Path Record queries should be made using SGID and DGID.  In which case the SM can return multiple matching paths.  It is up to the SM to return an appropriate subset of paths.  The SM can also return multiple paths  in "preferred order of use" (eg. Primary, then secondary path for failover, etc).

The NumbPath parameter in the PathRecord query can specify the maximum number of such paths of interest.  Typical  use cases are:

-          Ask for 1 path (most applications)

-          Ask for 2 paths and perform a failover algorithm or use APM (I'm aware of quite a few applications which use failover)

-          Ask for many or all paths and perform a load balancing algorithm across them (I'm aware of a couple applications which do this)

Todd Rimmer
Chief Architect
QLogic Network Systems Group