[ofa-general] Infiniband and Ubuntu

Mark J. Pearrow mjp at mit.edu
Thu Jul 23 14:27:23 PDT 2009

Hi all,

The short question is "is there a howto for getting Infiniband and
Ubuntu working?"

I have a cluster of Dell PowerEdge servers that are running Ubuntu
9.04. I have Mellanox HCAs installed in them. My eventual goal is to
get GlusterFS up and running across them with IB as the backplane
instead of GigE.

I've been following an older howto here:

http://www.lucubration.com/open-source-projects/ubuntu-infiniband-ipoib.html

However, this is somewhat dated. I've managed to build most of the
RPMs using the install.pl included with OFED-1.5, but it has been a
hack-and-slash effort; and it still fails before completing.

I've looked through this mailing list's archives and through Google,
of course, for a couple weeks now, but would appreciate any guidance
if you've been successful in getting an Ubuntu system working with IB.

Many thanks, and apologies for the extremely newbie-ish question.

mjp