[ofa-general] Question about addr_resolve_remote

Steve Wise swise at opengridcomputing.com
Thu Jul 30 21:38:32 PDT 2009

Roland Dreier wrote:
>  > Do you think it would be a problem if I changed
>  > neigh = neigh_lookup(&arp_tbl, &rt->rt_gateway, rt->idev->dev);
>  > neigh = neigh_lookup(&arp_tbl, &rt->rt_dst, rt->idev->dev);
>
> Yes I think it would be a problem, because what if you are trying to
> connect to a destination that is behind a router?  (and keep in mind, in
> your example, it is perfectly correct to try and connect to 4.5.7.8 if
> it happens to be reachable via a router from your RNIC of 192.168.0.1)
>
>  - R.

In other words, the neigh entry and its state pertain to the next hop,
not the final destination (unless the next hop -is- the final
destination).  And if you really are trying to get traffic to 4.5.7.8
via your rnic, you need to make sure the linux routing table is setup to
provide that route.   Based on your example, your local routing table is
setup such that 4.5.7.8 is reachable only via your NIC interface (maybe
via the default route?).

Steve.