[libfabric-users] same process, multiple endpoints

Maurizio Drocco drocco at di.unito.it
Mon May 23 07:58:30 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I am from the alpha group [http://alpha.di.unito.it/] (CS dept. @ Univ.
of Torino, Italy).
We just started to integrate libfabric into FastFlow [link], on the
track of the great job by Paolo Inaudi with the A3Cube provider.

After several readings of all the man pages and some online tutorials, I
still cannot understand how to work with contexts, domains and endpoints.
I try to illustrate the problem:
1) single process attached to NIC with address X
2) two connection-less endpoints A and B
3) endpoint A should accept data from X:portA, while B from X:portB

If I try to map the hierarchy proposed in the libfabric "object model" I
would instantiate one context, one domain and both endpoints (and
respective queues) to that single domain. In this setting, I cannot find
how to specify the different ports for the endpoints. Actually I just
need to ensure endpoint A will find only messages sent to portA in its
completion queue, but I cannot figure out how to do it.

Conversely, all the examples I saw (e.g. fabtests benchmarks) use a
single endpoint per process and the libfabric context is initialized
with hints and arguments specific to the endpoint. This means I should
prefer to instantiate one domain (and one context) for each endpoint?

Thank you for any help.

--
Maurizio Drocco
PhD Student