[nvmewin] a little help with QEMU NVMe and Windows

Robert Randall (rrandall) rrandall at micron.com
Fri Apr 5 07:19:31 PDT 2013

Hi Paul and the mailing list,

Paul, you might remember me; we met at last year's SNIA SDC.  We had a brief discussion regarding getting Micron more involved in the NVMe open source community.  I am the Windows driver lead for the PCIe SSD products at Micron.  While we have had success getting QEMU NVMe and Linux working just fine following the guidance provided on the nvmecompliance github project we are struggling to get a Windows setup working properly.

I am using Linux as the host OS, compiling qemunvme according to the information on github.  While everything builds fine and the guest OS (Win8 Pro) installs fine and runs there is a small problem; the NVMe controller doesn't appear to have a PCIe bus to connect to.  When I review the device details of the virtual Win8 machine I can see that there are NO PCIe root complexes available on the machine.  However, RWEverything does show that the NVMe controller is present and I suspect that is only because the PCI configuration space is accessible but nothing else is because of the bus type mismatch.  It feels like this will not work properly without a PCIe root port device being added to the virtual machine.  I've not been able to find any useful help by searching the web.

Is there some advice you can provide or some site or email thread you can point me to that will help me resolve this issue?

We want to test our Windows NVMe driver in qemunvme but we are stuck.

Best regards,
Robert.

Robert Randall
Windows Driver Architect