[nvmewin] LSI Trim Patch

Knoblaugh, Rick Rick.Knoblaugh at lsi.com
Mon Jun 17 09:56:44 PDT 2013

Hi Alex,
                 My original thought in conditionally compiling was to preserve compatibility with the existing Win 7 WDK. Driver builds as it always has in that environment. Seems like a convenience for anyone who still wants to build using Win 7  WDK (perhaps they already have some automated builds in place or whatever, so why break it?) And, it exposes the same VPD pages as before, whereas there will be 3 new ones with Win 8 Trim support -- not saying that breaks anything in Win 7 or Win 2008 R2, but we do have proven mileage behind us with things as they are.

                 If the goal is to have a single binary that runs across all of those OS flavors, you may want to put that validation down as a project for someone. I think Parag had tried building the driver as it exists today in the repository for Windows 8 and saw some issues when trying to install that binary under Windows 7. Perhaps if other folks have tried that, they can weigh in on this as well.

          Thanks,
                             -Rick