[nvmewin] Meta Data check in the driver initialization

Kong, Kwok Kwok.Kong at idt.com
Thu Mar 7 16:12:40 PST 2013

All,

The current driver does not check for Metadata size in the Identify Namespace LBA Format. It assumes that the metadata size is always 0.  This is a bug in the driver and should be fixed.

The fix should be similar to the following:

- During initialization, the driver sends identify namespace to a NVMe device to discover the namespace configuration (Namespace size, capacity, LBA data size ...etc).

- If the Metadata size (MS) in the Identify - LBA Format Data structure is not 0,

      Ignore this namespace and don't advertise it to Windows.

- Otherwise

      Do the normal initialization as we are doing currently

When a namespace is formatted with non-zero metadata size, the Metadata Pointer (MPTR) is assumed to point to a valid metadata buffer.   Since the current driver does not support meta-data, the metadata pointer is not set up to point to a valid buffer.  The driver cannot use this namespace and must skip it.

Please let me know if you disagree. Otherwise, I'll ask Alex to put in the fix.

Thanks

-Kwok