[nvmewin] Set Features- LBA Range Type- Mandatory or optional?

Freyensee, James P james.p.freyensee at intel.com
Tue Jan 14 17:07:42 PST 2014

This question is based on a NVMe 1.0.e spec and code base.  I have what I believe is a 1.0.e code base because about 6 months ago I asked this list how to retrieve such a code base, and went ahead and pulled the code based on the feedback.

My question is concerning "Set Features- LBA Range Type".  This is an optional command according to the spec.  However, the code base I retrieved acts as if this is a mandatory command for an NVMe device setup for 1 namespace.  NVMe driver will issue a "NVMeDriverFatalError" if this is not implemented by the device to at least return 0 successfully for "Number of LBA Ranges" in the NVMe completion packet.  I'm curious to why this is and if this is an optional command, why the NVMe driver:

*       issues it in the first place

or

*       in the event of an error, like Invalid Command Opcode, or in the event the command is not implemented, why the driver cannot be a bit more flexible and move on instead of stopping.

Thanks!
Jay