[nvmewin] Add SCSI SSD Log Page Support

Mike Berhan mikeb at bustrace.com
Tue Jul 8 07:47:59 PDT 2014

I don't know if this has been brought up before but I wanted to bring up the
topic of SCSI SSD Log Page support.

Request #1 - NVMe SCSI Translation Reference - Add SCSI SSD Log Page 11h

The NVM_Express_-_SCSI_Translation_Reference-1_2_03172014.pdf specification
only details support for log page 00h, 0Dh, and 2Fh.  All others shall fail
with an invalid field in CDB check condition.  This is what the current NVMe
Windows driver does in its SntiTranslateLogSense() handler.

I would like to see the next revision of this specification add support for
log page 11h (Solid State Media log page) as defined in the SBC-3
specification.  Parameter code 0001h would be supported (Percentage Used
Endurance Indicator).  The required information would come from the NVMe
SMART / Health Information page (Log Identifier 02h).  The NVMe "Percentage
Used" indicator (Byte 5) matches the definition used by the SBC-3 log page.

I'll send this email separately to info at nvmexpress.org to request this
change.

Request #2 - Update Windows miniport driver to support SCSI SSD Log Page 11h

Modify the SntiTranslateLogSense() and SntiTranslateLogSenseResponse()
routines to add SCSI log page 11h support.  There is already code present to
retrieve the SMART/Health log so adding support seems relatively simple.
I'd offer to make the code change but unfortunately I do not yet have an
NVMe drive to validate against.

The reason for my request is that this change allows host software to
determine the EOL state of an NVMe drive using industry standard CDBs.  I
realize that an NVMe pass through command could be used to perform the same
task.  I just believe it should be part of the CDB mapping.  It also allows
a more "seamless transition" to NVMe as detailed in the current
specification's Theory of Operation:

"There are existing applications and software infrastructure built upon the
SCSI architectural model defined by T10. The purpose of this document is to
define a mapping between SCSI and NVM Express specifications to enable a
seamless transition to NVM Express by preserving existing software
infrastructure investments."

Mike Berhan
busTRACE Technologies