[nvmewin] Sense data format - fixed vs descriptor

Michael Schoberg (mschoberg) mschoberg at micron.com
Tue Mar 22 08:28:47 PDT 2016

I noticed that the sense data returned is using the "Fixed" format, yet the Control Page sets D_SENSE to 1b.  I'm confused by this since the specification leads me to believe it should be returning sense data in "Descriptor" format:

SPC-4
A descriptor format sense data (D_SENSE) bit set to zero specifies that the device server shall return fixed
format sense data when returning sense data in the same I_T_L_Q nexus transaction as the
status. A D_SENSE bit set to one specifies that the device server shall return descriptor format sense data.

NVM Express: SCSI Translation Reference

D_SENSE  - Shall be set to 1b indicating that sense data is returned in descriptor format.

Thanks.