[nvmewin] How to Fetch Device Name on AWS NVMe Window Instance

Vishal Thakur lahsiv.vishal at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 03:22:27 PST 2020

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project to fetch “Device Name” from AWS Window NVMe (ENA)
instance and Non-NVMe instance.

For 2nd use-case (Non-NVMe Instance), I am using IOCTL_SCSI_GET_ADDRESS to
fetch SCSI_ADDRESS and its associated TargetID. From this, I am
constructing “Device Name” for e.g. “/dev/xbda” using SCSI_ADDRESS.TargetID.

In NVMe environment, when using IOCTL_SCSI_GET_ADDRESS ioctl to fetch
TargetID, all disks are returning same TargetID (0). Hence I started
exploring things related to NVMe if that has some impact on this. Please
let me know if you have some pointers here. Do I need to execute another
IOCTL for this purpose?

In the mean time, I came across a project
https://svn.openfabrics.org/svnrepo/nvmewin/releases/IOCTL_Sample_App/.
This is also the reason I came to know about this group. When I executed
this on AWS Window NVMe (ENA) instance, I am getting error “The request
could not be performed because of an I/O device error”.

c:\Users\Administrator\Desktop>IOCTL_Sample_Application.exe

FindNvmeControllers: Searching Scsi Ports

Found Controller at \\.\Scsi0:

Vishal1 The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

No miniport at this location 0

Found Controller at \\.\Scsi1:

Vishal1 The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

No miniport at this location 1

Found Controller at \\.\Scsi2:

Vishal1 The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

No miniport at this location 2

Did not find \\.\Scsi3:, err 2

Did not find \\.\Scsi4:, err 2

Did not find \\.\Scsi5:, err 2

Please suggest how I can get rid of this error. I am not able to find any
information related to this online or on msdn website. Hence kind of stuck
here.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Vishal Thakur