[Ofa_boardplus] Jason's draft preso to the Linux Plumbers' Conference

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Thu Aug 31 16:50:36 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 04:05:49PM -0700, Jim Ryan wrote:

> First, Jason, it appears you're working under a misunderstanding
> which I think Bill tried to correct, but perhaps he could have used
> different words. The interop program is self-funding in the sense
> the cost of the testing is borne

No, I do understand this very well.

The fact IWG participation is optional, and that it is billed on a
cost recovery basis, is not relevant to my point. I am observing that
of all the funds the membership chooses to send to the OFA, 50% are
directed to UNH-IOL (by the direct choice of the membership).

While at the same time the membership cannot be bothered to properly
equip UNH-IOL to actually test the software, and does not seem
interested in the logo program.

So, exactly why, is the membership choosing to continue fund this?

> Re the logo program being out of date and maybe valueless, I can
> simply say two things. I know of vendors for whom this *testing* is
> extremely important. I view that info as being confidential so as
> loathsome as it is to me, I have to ask you to trust me. Notice I'm
> not making the same claim for the logo.

>From what I can see the testing is far less useful than I assumed it
was. Maybe your sources are also operating under poor assumptions?

Jason