[Ofa_boardplus] OFED release/license motion

Gilad Shainer Shainer at Mellanox.com
Tue Mar 7 10:40:13 PST 2017

Mellanox votes yes under the condition that this motion is only for the release of OFED 3.18-3, and not for any future releases.

There was a good reason behind the bylaws requirement a dual license, and we should not easily vote against directions set without proper understanding of the outcome. I am aware of multiple issues that GPL only code create for multiple users of OFA.

Regards,
Gilad Shainer
Vice President, Marketing
Mellanox Technologies
350 Oakmead Parkway, Suite 100, Sunnyvale CA 94085
Office: 408-916-0048, Mobile: 408-421-0048, Fax: 408-585-0348

-----Original Message-----
From: Ofa_boardplus [mailto:ofa_boardplus-bounces at lists.openfabrics.org] On Behalf Of Coulter, Susan K
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2017 2:55 PM
To: ofa_boardplus at lists.openfabrics.org , <ofa_boardplus at lists.openfabrics.org>
Subject: [Ofa_boardplus] OFED release/license motion

Motion on the floor:

> The OFA accepts the nature of Linux kernel space code as GPLv2 and user space as dual-licensed (GPLv2 and BSD) and approves the release of OFED 3.18-3 with the following text included in the LICENSE.text file in OFED project root.
>
> "OFED is distributed as a source tarball and includes both user space and Linux kernel space code.  The Linux kernel space code contains some dual-licensed files and some GPLv2-only files, resulting in a kernel space product that is licensed GPLv2.  All user space code, however, is dual licensed (GPLv2 and BSD).”

> ORNL seconded

> Votes recorded as of 15:30 March 6, 2017:

Broadcom / Eddie Wai

Cray/Paul Grun

HPE / Andy Riebs - YES

Huawei / Daqi Ren

IBM / Bernard Metzler

Intel /  Jim Pappas

Jump Trading / Christoph Lameter - YES

LANL / Susan Coulter - YES

LLNL / Matt Leininger

Mellanox / Gilad Shainer

NetApp / David Dale

Oak Ridge / Scott Atchley - YES

Oracle / David Brean

Sandia / Chris Beggio - YES

Unisys / Lilia Weber

Susan Coulter / HPC-DES
Network Capability Lead
(505) 667-8425
“Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right”  Robert Hunter ==================================================