[Ofa_boardplus] OFED releases

Atchley, Scott atchleyes at ornl.gov
Thu May 11 14:44:11 PDT 2017

On May 11, 2017, at 3:35 PM, Jason Gunthorpe <jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 06:18:38PM +0000, Atchley, Scott wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> To be clear, I was asking for two things:
>>
>> 1) Users need a mechanism to use features/capabilities that have not
>> landed in upstream yet
>>
>> 2) Interoperability
>
> Bear in mind that, except in some limited cases, OFA members are
> already solving these problems, using the industry accepted 'upstream
> first' collaborative process.
>
> 1) The upstream kernel is immedaitely available for pre-release
>   testing of new features
> 2) The single kernel provides vendor co-existance and the
>   collaborative testing encourages interoperability.
>
> The way I read your email is that you think the process is too slow
> for your use case?
>
> Jason

Yes, my response just now to Christoph has more details.

Again, I am not arguing for a change in anyone’s workflow from pushing upstream first. But while upstream debates implementation and while the eventual design works its way to the distro backports, what should users do with hardware on their floor?