[Ofa_boardplus] [UNTRUSTED] OFED releases

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Fri May 12 10:25:06 PDT 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 05:21:28PM +0000, Woodruff, Robert J wrote:
>    Just to clarify, the base OFED (excluding tech preview code) is all
>    upstream kernel code. The code matches the kernel version of the OFED
>    release. For example,
>
>    OFED-4.8 is based on the kernel.org 4.8 kernel code.
>
>    OFED then includes backports to allow that upstream code to build and
>    run on various older distro kernels, which are based on earlier
>    version of kernel.org kernels.

But OFED only rebases to a new upstream kernel every two years or so.

In light of that I don't understand how OFED is helping Scott's "make
it faster" requirement?

Certainly, RHEL will pick up new upstream code in 3-6 months, so RHEL
7.5 (say?) will supersede OFED-4.8 but OFA will keep producing a now
obsolete OFED-4.8 for another 18 months?

Jason