[Ofa_boardplus] Logo Program Discussion

Coulter, Susan K skc at lanl.gov
Fri Sep 1 10:16:39 PDT 2017

It is really great to see all this energized conversation going on, and I’ve read the comments with great interest.

As has been mentioned - we started a process with UNH-IOL to review our contract with them in light of the possibility of including RedHat and SUSE testing.  The ultimate goal is to modernize their framework to facilitate this work.  RedHat is quite interested, but DougL is a busy man, so the process has gone more slowly than I had hoped.  He recently (~2 days ago) reiterated his interest and has apparently found the $10k needed for RedHat to become a Promoter Member of the OFA.  Personnel changes at SUSE have resulted in a different point of contact there, so their continued interest is un-confirmed.

The review of the contract turned into a massive (IMO) effort that after several months finally resulted in a slightly modified “OFA and UNH-IOL Test Agreement”.  During those discussions, we found there were 5 other documents that apparently affect or are referenced to by the prior mentioned document.  This was discovered at the end of July - and we have not met since.  ( In part because my head hurts every time I think about getting back into it  :)

Specifically to the current testing:

Whether or not we continue to use OFED to test hardware, and/or make changes to any Logo program is part of a larger discussion.

I reviewed the last few logo lists, and it does look like an older list of equipment.
We could approach each of these participants to understand their need and reliance on this program.

Moving this discussion to an XWG meeting makes sense.
Doing that, however, means balancing that with the other large and critical discussion item.
(i.e.  Mission/ED/Maintainer/MembershipFees - which could be called “move to a modern Open Source Alliance Model”)

In the past we have entertained more than one complicated agenda item by putting a time limit on each discussion.
That may be the best approach at this point.

Thanx.

Susan Coulter / HPC-DES
Network Capability Lead
(505) 667-8425
“Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right”  Robert Hunter