[Ofa_boardplus] Voteable item for Thursday's Board Meeting

Coulter, Susan K skc at lanl.gov
Thu Mar 15 09:27:35 PDT 2018

There were a couple mission conversations that I missed, so I’ve tried to let others comment.

I too was concerned about the lack of “open source”, and I am still advocating for the inclusion of a “portable solution/vendor neutral” statement.
Hopefully we can have some constructive conversation on the call - which any and all of you are invited to attend.

When people feel strongly about something, and make statements that conflict with others’ world views, it is easy to see those people as not being constructive, or whining.
We need to be very careful here and think about where our own motivations are coming from and giving others the full benefit of the doubt.

My experience with open source advocates is that they are wildly protective of that concept.
It is a concept which directly benefits no one, but aims to benefit everyone.
We need to keep that in mind.

Susan Coulter
LANL / USRC / HPC-DES
Network Lead