[Ofa_boardplus] OFA and Open Source

Jason Gunthorpe jgg+lists at ziepe.ca
Thu Mar 15 12:51:55 PDT 2018

Control over license is routinely done in the open source world, there
are many, many examples of this.

It just not entirely accurate to say that OFA could have done nothing
in the past, and I agree with what Susan wrote.

The problem with pushing open source to some side project for the OFA
basically guarentees that OFA will not be stewarding open source
projects in future.

Users/Developers/Companies simply do not want to invest in a project
with bad or unclear governance. There are many historical examples of
projects leaving old toxic organizational structures behind and moving
to something cleaner.

It is already easy to see why, Saen's latest message suggests that OFA
should be OK with not doing open source development. That kind of
activity is totally incompatible with stewarding open source projects
and would eventually explode politically to try and do both at once.

So it is fine to transform the OFA into a trade association of some
kind, but don't have allusions OFA can successfully be both a trade
association and good open source project steward..

Jason