[Ofa_boardplus] OFA and Open Source

Jason Gunthorpe jgg at ziepe.ca
Thu Mar 15 13:00:28 PDT 2018

To be *extremely* clear, rdma-core has something like 7 licenses in
it. Only a few of those use the official OFA sanctioned BSD 2 clause
license text.

The best we can say about it is that it is all usable under GPLv2,
talk to your lawyers if you want to use rdma-core under a permissive
license, because 'it depends'.

For instance, some of the license varients prohibit advertising. So
printing "Product Foo! Now with rdma-core feature XYZ!" may contravene
the license if a non GPLv2 option is choosen.

This kind of license prolifieration is exactly what the OFA should
have prevented, and indeed tried to prevent via the license caluse in
the membership agreement. It is just unfortunate the agreement wasn't
policed.

Jason