[Openframeworkwg] Some concerns about the new Fabric/IBverbs API

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Dec 10 11:53:05 PST 2013

> > > To do this a vendor just has to provide their own inlines for the hot
> > > path function call tables, it isn't technically very challenging..
> >
> > Right. It would also allow the compiler to further optimize the code.
>
> Yes, and linking to the provider directly and use a relocation instead
> of a table lookup with provide some additional tiny savings.

Thinking about this more after the meeting, if we have a more generic call, such as ibv_post_send(), then there could be significant benefits to inlining the provider code.  The compiler should be able to strip out several branches and eliminate data structures.

However, if we support optimized calls, such as rc_qp->post_rdma_write_with_immediate(), it would seem that the benefits of inlining would be minimal.  Ideally, there shouldn't be much that the compiler could do.