[Openframeworkwg] Googleable names

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Thu Jan 30 10:19:06 PST 2014

On Jan 30, 2014, at 12:58 PM, Paul Grun <grun at cray.com> wrote:

> Our current name is OpenFramework Working Group.  Someone pointed out that that does not google well.  But there is a fine line to be walked here - let's not give ourselves a name that is so obscure that nobody knows how to google for us at all.  A completely unique name is of no use at all if no one searches for it.

My $0.02: I don't agree.  A name -- whatever the name -- is how some body of work is known.  If it is unique (enough), it is Google-able, and therefore lowers the bar for someone to find said body of work.

I'm not worried about an obscure name because if the work is good, the people in the communities we care about will come to know the name.  More specifically: *every* name starts off as "obscure", and by people talking about it, it becomes not obscure/common (at least in the communities we care about).  My original point was that "OpenFramework" is so overloaded already that even the people in the communities we care about will become confused when they try to find the body of work from this WG because Google -- which is how the world finds stuff on the internet -- will show them 10 different projects, many of which are software related, and it isn't immediately clear as to which one is this one.

So there are (at least) two separate issues: a) a name, and b) its degree of google-ability / uniqueness.  It is desirable to maximize the goodness of both.

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres at cisco.com