[Openframeworkwg] Googleable names

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Thu Jan 30 10:40:34 PST 2014

> I'm confused then.  I say this because of all the things we've talked
> about putting this on top of and driving, they've all been in some way
> RDMA capable devices.  I haven't seen any talk of running this over
> plain ethernet and using TCP/UDP sockets or such.  So, it seems all of
> the features fall under the RDMA umbrella as far as I can tell.  Is
> there something I'm missing?

I don't think you're missing anything.  It's just a terminology issue.  To some, "RDMA" means RDMA reads and writes, or MPI one-sided operations.  To others, "RDMA" means channel (i.e. QP) based communications.  Or it can mean the entire stack.

The APIs that have been proposed include RDMA operations, but devices are not required to provide that functionality.  A device could be limited to providing message passing operations.  Additionally, I envision defining capabilities that go beyond RDMA (for some definition of RDMA), such as atomics, tag matching, active messages, triggered operations, collective operations, etc.