[ofiwg] the send credit thread that will not die

Liran Liss liranl at mellanox.com
Tue Nov 11 06:26:15 PST 2014

Thanks for the summary.

I would add an additional requirement for "convexity", in the sense that higher value of some parameter immediately implies that the returned credits are at least as much as for the same call with a lower value.
For example:
- More inline data <= iff => more credits
- More scatter/gather entries <= iff => more credits

Applications can use this as follows.
Consider an app that has 2 use cases: (1) small messages that only have one SGE (2) large messages that can have any number of SGEs from 1 to, say, 10.
In this case the app could issue only 2 credit queries:
- 1 SGE to cover (1)
- 10 SGEs to cover (2)

The provider guarantee is that any posted message with < 10 SGEs would consume less credits than what was returned for (2).
Thus, for workloads that mostly comprise small messages, queue usage would be optimized.

The amount of distinct queries depends on how much the application is aware of its workload and the level of optimization.
--Liran