[ofiwg] fi_[ec]q_readerr

Reese Faucette (rfaucett) rfaucett at cisco.com
Tue Oct 21 14:48:16 PDT 2014

Hmm, thinking about this more, I think the main thing that threw me off was this line from "man fi_eq_read"  : " When an operation that completes with an unexpected error is inserted into an EQ, it is placed  into  a  temporary  error queue."

That may or may not be true for any given provider.

The way of thinking about this that makes my head hurt less is "the next event in line has more state than I can report to you in the space provided, please call *_readerr()" to get the information."  Whether or not this is from "a temporary error queue" or not is totally an implementation detail and definitely not the way I would implement it, but in any event should not be in the man page.

If the next completion in line is an error that needs a bigger struct, I guess it's ok to force the user to use a different call to retrieve the error information.  The relative order between "good" and "bad" completions can still be maintained, because [ec]q_read does not start returning EAVAIL until the error completion percolates to the top.

I think this statement in the man page is incorrect:
"Attempting to read from an EQ while an item is in the error queue results in an FI_EAVAIL failure"
and should instead be:
"Attempting to read from an EQ when the next item in the event queue is an error results in an FI_EAVAIL failure"

Or at the very least should be unspeficied, if some provider really has some need to accelerate error completions to the head of the line.

So, I guess I can live with *_readerr(), but I will open an issue to request some changes to the relevant man pages.
-r