[ofiwg] priorities for beyond OFI release 1.0

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Apr 14 14:21:31 PDT 2015

The attached spreadsheet should reasonably capture a breakdown of areas where the OFI framework can provide features for providers that do not natively support them.  I arbitrarily marked the features as high, medium, or low priority.  Feel free to request changes.

The purpose of the framework providing these features is to simplify application development and allow for more portable application implementations.  The goal is for the framework to implement the features in a highly performant manner.

The chart shows:

- The implementation of one endpoint type over another.
- Each interface set over each EP type.
- Selected capabilities that can be provided.
- Provider mode bits.

For the mode bits, the framework would provide application support to disable each mode.

I have not yet given thought as to how this might be architected.  But I was hoping to layer internal framework providers over OFI itself.  If anyone has more thoughts on this, let me know.  (This may just require prototyping to see what works.)  The current usnic provider (or a new UDP provider) appears well suited for building out the framework, though I can understand if there's a desire to build out the verbs provider.