[ofiwg] Draft proposal for the SC15 libfabric BoF

Paul Grun grun at cray.com
Tue Aug 11 09:34:45 PDT 2015

This is a good suggestion.

Nobody, to my knowledge, has suggested that verbs should not be extended.  But the decision to extend verbs is entirely independent of the work being done in OFI (including DS/DA).

We've had this discussion a number of times, harkening back to the origins of OFI in 2013.  There have been several presentations given on extending verbs, which resulted in the creation of OFV WG.  There is widespread consensus that the OFA should continue to support and develop verbs.

Nevertheless, the conclusion has remained throughout that there is demand for an API at a higher level abstraction than verbs.

Let's be clear once again:  The OFI effort is NOT about killing verbs; it is about expanding the OFA's portfolio.

-Paul