[ofiwg] re-visiting posting of patches/discussions to ofiwg mail list

Paul Grun grun at cray.com
Sat Feb 14 15:57:20 PST 2015

I would like to see us walk a fine line here.  Clearly Github is the right place for the kinds of detailed conversations that are needed as code is being developed.

But at the same time it would be really nice if folks who may have a vested interest in the development of OFI, but who are not actually writing code, could have some easy visibility into the key issues being worked.  We already have a standing agenda item at our weekly meetings to discuss open Github issues, as needed.

Accordingly, I'd like to suggest that we formalize that a bit by asking one of the key developers to give a *brief* mention at the weekly meetings of any key issues that have emerged recently or are under active development.  Obviously things like small fixes to the man pages are not of interest, but it might be tremendously helpful to keep the mailing list more-or-less up to speed.

I certainly would not want this to be an extra burden on those who are already working hard on the code - I'm thinking a maximum of a 5 minute verbal rundown (maybe less) - no slides, no preparation.   Things change in relatively small increments week-to-week, but over the course of time those add up to significant changes.

Sean, Jeff, is this something you would be willing to take on as a regular agenda item?

-Paul