[ofiwg] RFC on error handling in fi_getinfo call

Sur, Sayantan sayantan.sur at intel.com
Fri Jan 16 16:43:09 PST 2015

I was poking around the OpenMPI FAQ today, and found this:

"2. But wait -- I'm using a high-speed network. Do I have to disable the TCP BTL?
No. Following the so-called "Law of Least Astonishment", Open MPI assumes that if you have both a TCP network and at least one high-speed network (such as Myrinet or InfiniBand), you will likely only want to use the high-speed network(s) for MPI message passing. Hence, the tcp BTL component will sense this and automatically deactivate itself."

http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=tcp#tcp-auto-disable

Does this match the current OpenMPI implementation? Seems nifty and avoids the issue of sockets provider being used by error.

Could it be that the sockets provider can be modified to have this behavior?