[ofiwg] the problems with atomics

Underwood, Keith D keith.d.underwood at intel.com
Wed Jul 8 04:10:06 PDT 2015

Technically, MPI implementations are supposed to detect the heterogeneity and deal with it (e.g. for the endianness problem).

For LONG_DOUBLE, MPI essentially makes the assumption that the app and MPI are compiled with "compatible" compilers and options regarding LONG_DOUBLE formats.  Then again, the same is kind of true for the definition of things like MPI_INT and MPI_LONG_INT, right?  Have we all forgotten the pain of the transition to 64 bit?

When we tackled this problem for Portals, the ints were easy:  we assumed endianness matched (we didn't care about heterogeneous systems).  We assumed that MPI/SHMEM/whatever would have to figure out what "int" meant and could cast to either int32_t or int64_t, as appropriate for the compiler.  Floats and doubles were obvious (only one sizes of those).  LONG_DOUBLE was... intractable... so we punted and said that the Portals library and MPI library would have to be compiled with compatible compilers and compiler options if anybody used that.  It wasn't a great solution, but the list Sean has below was unpleasant, and LONG_DOUBLE use is, um, rare.

Keith