[ofiwg] DS/DA discussion

Paul Grun grun at cray.com
Thu Oct 8 11:53:11 PDT 2015

I don't think we yet have a clear understanding of the requirements for user mode accesses to NVM.  This is on what DS/DA is currently focused.  Once we do, we will be in a better position to figure out how (or whether) to augment libfabric as needed.  Once we get to that point, I expect a lively exchange between DS/DA and OFI WG.

I think Scott's characterization of NVM-based storage as a sort of passive appliance, and contrasting that with process-to-process communication, is helpful because it gives us a model to work with that may not have been at front of mind for OFI WG when we first began discussing libfabric.  I think it is very helpful to have a group that is focused on APIs that meet the needs of storage and I argue that persistent memory is a form of storage.

The important things for now are twofold:  1) as Sean points out, the key is to ensure that APIs are developed using the principles of application-centric design which is how the work of OFI writ large has been conducted from the very beginning.  2) let's agree to leave discussion of data access to NVM in the DS/DA group, with the certainty that it will eventually come back to joint discussion between the two groups.

-Paul