[ofiwg] Travis CI testing of libfabric and fabtests

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Mon Oct 12 11:50:14 PDT 2015

> >> FWIW, we've left such details to the sites running the CI tests.
> >
> > But in this case, the site I'm referring to is github - not Cisco or
> Intel testing.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the distinction...?

I'm referring to a script that is *stored in the upstream github tree*.  This is an 'ofiwg' script, not a vendor script.  Today that builds the sockets provider and runs all fabtests against it.

We won't be able to run the other providers, but we should be able to build them.  The question is what policy to use in selecting the external libraries.  That's the input I'm looking for, rather than just picking some policy on my own.

Why does this matter?  It matters because this is run as soon as the pull *request* is opened.  If the test fails, the PR is flagged with the failure.  Github allows us to prevent merging PRs which have failed the pre-merge checks.  Today they are only flagged.

I'm proposing that we block PRs that fail the pre-merge checks and expand the pre-merge checks to be as broad as reasonable -- i.e. all testing that we can do within a short timeframe.  If we can include vendor specific tests as part of the pre-merge checks, that's great, but those would be in addition to what I'm referring to here.