[ofiwg] strided IOVs

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 12:08:59 PDT 2015

Both GA/ARMCI and SHMEM utilize regular aka simple strided operations in
RMA.  GA_Acc/ARMCI_AccS/MPI_Accumulate map to fi_atomic, that means those
also need to support strided, assuming RMA does.

I think only simple strided is worth supporting, because it is O(1)
metadata.  General gather/scatter ala iovec is unlikely to optimizable
relative to a higher-level software implementation, so I don't see a good
reason to put it into OFI.

Jeff

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 4:46 AM, Underwood, Keith D <
keith.d.underwood at intel.com> wrote:

> Exactly.  However, we should be careful about what we are adding here.  A
> strided interface is a very specific special case that applies to regular
> problems.  There is a bready of MPI derived datatype capabilities that are
> not covered by a simple stride.  What are the objectives for covering
> datatypes?  Is the IOVEC interface the right place to glue in the first
> handling of a special case of datatypes?

Jeff Hammond
jeff.science at gmail.com
http://jeffhammond.github.io/