[ofiwg] Reminder: libfabric download location has moved

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue Apr 12 14:59:31 PDT 2016

The more I think about this, the more I'd like to reduce the possibility of confusion.  Here's my new proposal:

1. http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/latest-snapshot.txt (i.e., explicitly contain the word "snapshot" so that it specifically denotes that these apply to snapshot/nightly tarballs, and there is zero chance of someone confusing this file with indicating the latest version of a production release):

This file contains two lines:

v1.3.x/libfabric-<blah1>
v1.3.x/fabtests-<blah2>

Where <blahX> is the version number (i.e., you need to add .tar.*) yourself.  This file will be updated each time a new snapshot file is added to the directory.

2. http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/v1.3.x/latest-snapshot.txt

Contains essentially the same two lines as the upper-level latest.txt, but without the directory name (because the names are relative to the directory in which they live).  This file will also updated each time a new snapshot file is added to the directory.

3. No longer have [fabtests|libfabric]-latest.tar.[gz|bz2], or latest.txt.

Rationale: I got some complaints that if you "wget" these files, a) they overwrite the last one you got, and b) their filename doesn't indicate the directory in which the tar file will expand (which can make it a little tricky/annoying for scripts to figure out where the tarball expanded).

========

Hence, the strategy for automated scripts will likely be something like this (typed off the top of my head in my mail client; not tested):

-----
wget http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/latest-snapshot.txt

libfabric_base=`grep libfabric latest-snapshot.txt`
libfabric_ver=`basename $libfabric_base`
wget http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/$libfabric_base.tar.bz2

tar xf $libfabric_ver.tar.bz2
cd $libfabric_ver
./configure ....
make -j 32 install

cd ..

fabtests_base=`grep fabtests latest-snapshot.txt`
fabtests_ver=`basename $fabtests_base`
wget http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/$fabtests_base.tar.bz2

tar xf $fabtests_ver.tar.bz2
cd $fabtests_ver
./configure ....
make -j 32 install

# ...etc.
-----

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 4:06 PM, Sung-Eun Choi <sungeun at cray.com> wrote:
>
> Perfect!
>
> -- Sung

>>> That's the one I'm using now, but I have to remember to update our
>>> test scripts when we change to using the next version's directory.  So
>>> I was thinking something that was in a version-number independent
>>> directory.
>>
>> OIC.
>>
>> Sure, I can probably add this:
>>
>>    http://www.openfabrics.org/downloads/ofiwg/nightly_tarballs/FOO
>>
>> where FOO is
>>
>>    [fabtests|libfabric]-latest.tar.[gz|bz2]
>>
>> Good?
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Squyres
>> jsquyres at cisco.com