[ofiwg] ofiwg item: supporting other OS's

Jason Gunthorpe jgunthorpe at obsidianresearch.com
Fri Jan 8 20:36:34 PST 2016

On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 07:47:38PM -0800, Jeff Hammond wrote:
>     C11 support requires gcc 4.9 for full compiler features (yes, I know
>     the library side is missing) and that is now nearly a two
>     year old compiler.

> Does GCC 4.9 support atomics? I don't have a binary handy...

Claims to, it is very similar to the C++11 atomics which are there.

4.9 is a significant compiler because it is the first g++ release that
really supports C++11 and all the polishing in C++14 very well.

I think we will see it or a slightly newer one made widely available
because of that. I already am working on C++ code bases that are
incompatible with 4.8 because of that, and it is unquestionably worth
it for C++.

> I don't know that the group will go for anything past C99, but we should try to
> enumerate the list of C11 features we would use if it were permitted.

Realistically public header files probably have to remain at a C89/C99
compatible level, which puts a crimp on a lot of new features :(

Jason