[ofiwg] for tomorrow's DS/DA telecon

Paul Grun grun at cray.com
Tue Jan 12 02:37:45 PST 2016

I think you're right...we need more discussion. :-)

Disclaimer - as you all know by now, I am not a qualified s/w engineer, hence my use of certain expressions is suspect at best and subject to correction.  That being said, here's how I think of it:

(BTW, the main OFI WG went through similar agony in defining its terms, so this isn't surprising).

Looking at the original charter for OFI (nee OFWG), it is to:

Develop, test, and distribute:
1.  An extensible, open source framework that provides access to high-performance fabric interfaces and services.
2.  Extensible, open source interfaces aligned with ULP and application needs for high-performance fabric services.

(Notice how the wording carefully doesn't say "provides access for applications and middleware".  The expression "ULP" in the 2nd bullet was taken directly from the original OFED architecture where things like iSCSI and SRP were described as ULPs.)

OFIWG, because it got there first, defined the framework described in the first bullet as consisting of an implementation of an API and an accompanying set of providers.  The first implementation of an API to emerge was libfabric.  Hence, OFI is the concept, and libfabric is the implementation.

The second implementation of an API to emerge is kfabric.  Hence, I think of kfabric as an implementation of an API, not as an architecture or concept.  Kfabric is analogous to libfabric.

I've brought this up a few times because I'm wondering if we even need the expression kfi at all.  In my worldview, libfabric and kfabric are both spawned from the same high level concept - OFI.

I am willing to be talked out of this (see the disclaimer above).