[ofiwg] fi_msg : Is it possible to receive partial data from the message?

Ioannis Charalampidis ioannis.charalampidis at cern.ch
Thu Jan 21 09:18:00 PST 2016

Hello Sean,
I see your point. However I am also writing a middleware and I would
like to avoid 'memcpy's as much as possible. Therefore I wanted to
avoid the FI_MULTI_RECV solution, even though it looks indeed elegant.

I was thinking to do a single malloc only when I know the size of the
incoming buffer, then pass it to libfabric to receive the message and
then move it to the user. But this matches with your 'inefficient'
approach, which I totally agree. But in my case, the messages can be
as big as 50Mb, which translates to big memcpy cost.

My next approach will be to ask the user to provide me with a
'maximum' size of the expected message, and allocate buffers of that
size during the reception... indeed it doesn't sound the best, but I
can avoid copying data around.

If I understand correctly, in order to receive any kind of data data
with libfabric I will need to:

1) Post the receive buffers (with fi_recv*)
2) Wait for a receive CQ event

However I was wondering... is there any way to wait for a 'data
pending' event, containing the size of them? Or perhaps another kind
of channel through I can send some lightweight (64-bit long) messages?

Cheers,
Ioannis