[ofiwg] reporting raw source addressing data

Hefty, Sean sean.hefty at intel.com
Tue Mar 14 16:10:06 PDT 2017

This is a follow up to the ofiwg conversation today related to issue/commit:

https://github.com/ofiwg/libfabric/issues/2618
https://github.com/ofiwg/libfabric/commit/461306ffe67cca27c57fb2e6a7ede450335e78cb

These are the options that I've narrowed down based on discussions and more thought:

A. Only define raw address data reporting for FI_AV_TABLE.
   The proposed API changes are adjusted for av table only.

B. Option A plus add AV/CQ FI_AV_MAP_ERR flag.
   Flag is set when opening an AV and CQ.  When set, all mapped
   addresses are validated against the local AV.
   This option can be added to any future release.

C. Define FI_SOURCE_ERR domain capability.
   When set, all addresses are validated against the local AV.
   Missing addresses are reported via CQ EADDRNOTAVAIL errors.
   Note: the domain attributes include the av_type.

I believe we need to document that existing usages of FI_AV_MAP may not verify that that the source is in the local AV.  I considered an auto-insert option, but that is problematic when dealing with shared AVs or multiple endpoints.