[ofiwg] inserting duplicate addresses into an AV

Blocksome, Michael michael.blocksome at intel.com
Tue Mar 20 12:05:54 PDT 2018

ew .. MPI spawn.

Again, how can a rank - even if it is yet to be attached to a MPI job - get the same fabric endpoint address from its OFI provider as some other rank in the system? Is this spawn test doing something crazy like attach-detach-attach-detach-etc and a previous address is not being removed properly before the next (same) address is inserted again?

I guess I don't understand the intricacies of this MPI spawn problem, and it's difficult for me to believe the statement "It is apparently non-trivial for the apps to avoid duplicate insertions" without this understanding. But, to me, this seems like applications/middleware just shouldn't be inserting a fabric endpoint address twice ... at least for HPC/MPI anyway. But maybe this duplicate insert scenario can still happen in a data center environment?