[ofiwg] getting hardware details from libfabric

Brice Goglin Brice.Goglin at inria.fr
Mon May 7 13:47:58 PDT 2018

Hello

For hwloc, we indeed need something to help applications bind tasks
and/or memory buffer near the network device. On Linux, the "name" of
the kernel object ("hfi1_0", "usnic2", etc) is often enough because we
can walk from it to PCI objects under sysfs, and then get locality
information from there. But it's not that easy:
* Some proprietary drivers don't expose anything in sysfs, hence there's
no such name. I assume you'll have at least some sort of "device index".
* It's not clear we'll get such a name on non-Linux systems

Another solution is to give us the PCI bus ID, which should work all
physical hardware, except bonding etc.

Having both the Linux kernel name and the PCI bus ID would be nice.

Brice