[ofiwg] getting hardware details from libfabric

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) jsquyres at cisco.com
Tue May 29 09:58:33 PDT 2018

On May 29, 2018, at 12:48 PM, Weiny, Ira <ira.weiny at intel.com> wrote:

>>> 	struct bus_attr {
>>> 		char *domain_id;
>>> 		char *bus_id;
>>> 		char *device_id;
>>> 		char *function_id;
>>> 	};
>>
>> Should this be "struct pci_bus_attr", just to future-proof us a bit?  I.e., more
>> types of busses may be available in the future.
>
> Should this be a "void *" to a generic device structure which could then be "struct pci_bus_attr" or some other future bus structure?

Fair point.  Do we have access to "struct pci_bus_attr" in userspace?  If we go this route, we'll need another enum to indicate what the (void*) is (or which member of a union to use blah blah blah).

>> Should we indicate the transport layer here?  (Ethernet, IB, Omnipath, GNI,
>> ...etc.)
>
> Probably should.  But perhaps that was more what Sean had in mind for "protocol"?

That's kinda what I was hoping for (i.e., I don't know if "protocol" is relevant -- but "transport" is definitely useful).

--
Jeff Squyres
jsquyres at cisco.com