[ofiwg] fork support and MR cache

Barrett, Brian bbarrett at amazon.com
Thu Oct 8 11:28:37 PDT 2020

On Oct 8, 2020, at 11:14 AM, Hefty, Sean <sean.hefty at intel.com> wrote:

>>> Interesting.  What will the behavior be for registered regions when fork is called?
>>
>> They are copied into the fork.
>>
>>> My concern is that the registrations are made and maintained without
>>> the application being aware.  Will cached registrations need to be
>>> released when fork is invoked, or is there some other mechanism
>>> coming into play now?
>>
>> MRs continue to reliably point to memory owned in the parent
>> process.
>>
>> The child process will be unable to use any MRs or verbs objects, just
>> like today.
>
> Thanks - I think this means that fork becomes a non-issue.

We’ll have to figure out how to make some of these decisions at runtime.  We need a fix for today’s world (even if we’re ok with it being a little more hacky, since it has a finite lifespan), and a way to know whether we need to run that hacky fix or not in the future.  I don’t think our current hack around trying ibv_fork_init() will work in a world where rdma-core isn’t building the RB tree.  So some way of exposing that new behavior out of rdma-core would, unfortunately, be helpful to Libfabric.

Brian