[ofiwg] Clarification of definition of FI_THREAD_DOMAIN

Byrne, John (Labs) john.l.byrne at hpe.com
Wed Jun 5 10:09:45 PDT 2024

FI_THREAD_DOMAIN
A domain serialization model requires applications to serialize access to all objects belonging to a domain.

My immediate take on this definition is that if I am multi-threading I have to have a single lock that I use to access any object belonging to a fi_domain instance; which seems like a terrible idea for multi-threading. However, in Jianxin's 2.0 API update at the workshop https://www.openfabrics.org/wp-content/uploads/2024-workshop/2024-workshop-presentations/session-1.pdf, it says: "Recommend FI_THREAD_DOMAIN for multi-thread app with regular endpoint."  If my interpretation of the meaning of FI_THREAD_DOMAIN is correct, then the only way this makes sense to me is for the expectation to be that a unique fi_domain instance and endpoint be created for each thread. Is this correct or is there something I'm misunderstanding? If it is correct, then there are some painful implications for multi-threading RMA.

Thanks,

John Byrne