[ofiwg] OFIWG Meeting Minutes 10/20/2026
Xiong, Jianxin
jianxin.xiong at intel.com
Tue Oct 20 09:37:32 PDT 2026
10/20/2026
Generated by AI assistant and modified manually
Participants
Bob Cernohous (Cornelis Networks)
Fnu Harishjitu Saseendran (Intel)
Howard Pritchard (LANL)
Jerome Soumagne (HPE)
Jianxin Xiong (Working Group Chair)(Intel)
John Byrne [HPE]
Ken Raffenetti (Cornelis)
Ryan Menhusen (HPE)
Shi Jin (AWS)
Steven Vormwald (US - HPE)
Zach Dworkin (Intel)
Kumar Suresh
Overview
Key participants: the Working Group Chair, Howard Pritchard, Ken Raffenetti (Cornelis), John Byrne (HPE), and Ryan Menhusen (HPE), with additional input from Shi Jin (AWS). The meeting focuses on two primary items: progress on the HPSF project proposal and a proposed API change for FI_XPU import behavior.
On the HPSF proposal, the chair requests reviewers to confirm the participant list, dependencies, and governance links; Ken will confirm his role with his supervisor, John requests an alternate HPE org contact, and Ryan offers to be added as an HPE representative. The board has marked the project as scheduled but has not set a presentation date, and the project still needs an additional sponsor from the TAC to complete the submission. The group also discusses security documentation: Howard asks for a SECURITY.md and GitHub security link, and the chair agrees to extract or expand the governance security section into a dedicated file, using Open MPI examples that Howard will share as guidance.
On the FI_XPU API, the chair proposes adding an optional file-descriptor parameter and a flag to the importer API to support providers that must import resources as DMA-BUF objects instead of addresses (notably certain Intel GPU cases). The proposal is presented for feedback; the chair notes the API is still mutable prior to a v2.8 stable release and suggests marking changes experimental if necessary. Shi Jin (AWS) highlights that FI_XPU remains unstable and that additional patches and clarifications (for example around the scope parameter) are forthcoming.
Major outcomes and commitments: attendees will review and confirm project participants and dependencies; Ken will follow up with his supervisor about representation; Ryan will be added for HPE if confirmed; Howard will share Open MPI SECURITY.md examples; the chair will update the HPSF proposal and move security content into a separate file as appropriate; and the FI_XPU API change remains open for review with the option to mark it experimental until stabilized. Concerns raised include ensuring correct security documentation for HPSF review and clarifying FI_XPU scope and import semantics before finalizing the API signature.
Detailed Summary
HPSF project proposal
The chair presents the project proposal for joining the HPSF process and asks attendees to review the populated information, participant list, dependencies, and links. This matters because accurate project metadata and sponsors are required for HPSF review and eventual board scheduling. The proposal is currently marked as scheduled by the board but lacks a presentation date and an additional sponsor to complete the submission.
* Working Group Chair asks attendees to review the project proposal and suggest additions or corrections to participants and dependencies.
* Ken Raffenetti (Cornelis) commits to confirming whether he is the correct representative for Cornelis with his supervisor.
* John Byrne (HPE) notes he belongs to HPE Labs and requests a different organizational representative be listed for HPE.
* Ryan Menhusen (HPE) offers to be added as the HPE contact and the chair confirms he will update the proposal after confirmations.
* Working Group Chair reports the HPSF board automatically marked the proposal as scheduled but no presentation date is set yet.
* Working Group Chair states an additional sponsor from the TLP will be added to meet sponsorship requirements for approval.
Security policy files
Howard asks whether the project has a SECURITY.md and security policy linked from GitHub, referencing prior experience with Open MPI. The presence of a clear security disclosure and contact process matters for HPSF expectations and downstream users. The chair confirms there is a security section in the governance document and agrees to move or expand content into a separate SECURITY.md as needed.
* Howard Pritchard asks if the project has a SECURITY.md and a linked GitHub security setup based on prior Open MPI experience.
* Working Group Chair confirms a security section exists in the governance document and volunteers to extract or expand it into a separate file.
* Howard Pritchard offers to share the Open MPI pull request and example wording to help shape the project's SECURITY.md.
* Working Group Chair acknowledges the example link would be helpful and agrees to incorporate or adapt content to meet HPSF expectations.
FI_XPU import API change
The chair discusses a proposed change to the FI_XPU importer API to add an optional file-descriptor parameter and a new flag to support importing certain NIC/XPU resources (e.g., Intel GPUs) as DMA-BUF objects. This matters because some providers require importing MMIO address via a DMA-BUF object (file descriptor) rather than an address, and changing the API now is feasible because FI_XPU is not yet in a stable release. The proposal is open for feedback, and the chair suggests the API can remain experimental until stabilized for v2.8.
* Working Group Chair explains the need to import some XPU/NIC resources as DMA-BUF objects and proposes adding an optional file-descriptor parameter to the importer signature.
* Working Group Chair clarifies the new flag indicates the provider must pass a DMA-BUF file descriptor for consumers to set up mappings when required.
* Working Group Chair notes the signature change is acceptable now because the FI_XPU API is not yet released as stable and can be modified prior to v2.8.
* Sean and others previously provided feedback on the PR and the chair is soliciting broader input from the group.
* Shi Jin (AWS) states FI_XPU is still unstable upstream and mentions additional follow-up patches and main-page edits are needed, especially around the scope parameter.
Working Group Chair suggests marking the API change as experimental if it cannot be fully stabilized before the v2.8 release.
Jianxin Xiong
Fabric Software
Intel Corporation
Jianxin.xiong at intel.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openfabrics.org/pipermail/ofiwg/attachments/20261020/01498b03/attachment-0001.htm>
More information about the ofiwg
mailing list