[Ofvwg] Meeting notes - 7/7/2015

Liran Liss liranl at mellanox.com
Tue Jul 7 12:20:30 PDT 2015

Pasha raised the issue of inconsistent error codes in Verbs.
Several API calls were reviewed.

Examples for inconsistency:
- Using the same error code for multiple error types
- Inconsistency among providers
- Inconsistent use of -1 and errno codes in return values

Additional issues:
- Are errno codes descriptive enough?
- If not, how do we introduce new codes? Extend the errno range? New enums? Other?
- Can we change the error scheme without breaking compatibility? Is this a new feature?
-- Runtime vs. compile-time compatibility

To do:
- Get user input on compatibility. Is anyone relying on specific providers?
- Get user input on POSIX vs. other error schemes
- Prepare a comparison table for each API:
-- Current practice by providers
-- Error semantics indicated by the specification
-- Mapping to errno codes
-- Mapping to extended codes

--Liran