[Ofvwg] [ANNOUNCE] Open Fabrics Verbs Working Group (OFVWG) meeting tomorrow - 9/13/2016 at 11:00PDT

Christoph Hellwig hch at infradead.org
Wed Sep 14 22:39:26 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 08:00:05AM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> Do you see any desire of HFI authors to move to new general user API?

A general API requires something general to be implemented first.
That's usually been the problem with driver specific APIs..

Once in a while people try to implement generic concepts drivers
specific, in which case it's easy to redirect them to a generic
subsystem.  It's been a while since I look at HFI, but IIRC only
the eeprom bits feel into such an existing categeory.  In theory
anything PSM specific could fit into a PSM subsystem, but without
anyone else even looking into that it's hard to define a subsystem
for it.  And there's just lots of weird stuff which we'd either
need to reject entirely (too late for HFI now) or live with a driver
specific API.